The default “iMessage” app on iOS is quite feature-rich. It supports replying to messages, you can tag people and of course, it’s encrypted. However, one of the things iMessage users miss is the ability to create surveys. Fortunately, the app store’s integration with iMessage means the app is there for just about everything. So, if you want to create a survey in an iMessage group chat, here’s how.
Create surveys in iMessage group chats on iPhone and iPad (2022)
iMessage comes with a built-in App Store that lets you download apps that you can access and use right from the conversation thread. In this tutorial, I’m going to use the survey creation app to create surveys in iMessage group chats.
While there are a few apps that allow you to add a polling feature to the standard messaging app on your iOS device, I find Polls for iMessage more convenient and reliable. We’ve also mentioned some other apps you can use to create iMessage surveys at the end of this article.
Create surveys in iMessage group chats
- To get started, open the Apple Messages app on your iPhone or iPad, and then go to a group chat.
- Now tap the “App Store” icon in the iMessage app drawer, and then tap the tiny magnifying glass icon located next to your profile picture.
- Then type “Polls for iMessage” in the search bar, and then download the app just like any other app.
- Then return to the group chat. Then swipe left to right in the app bar to find Polls for iMessage, then tap its icon.
- Next, click “Get Started“. Then enter a name for the survey and click Next.
- Now add at least two options. You will need to click “Finish” after each option.
- Then tap the Settings icon in the lower-right corner of the screen, and then adjust your survey settings. For example, you can allow/deny everyone to check who voted for each option and allow/deny others to add suggestions to the poll.
- Once you’ve perfectly set up your iMessage survey, click the Back button (tiny arrow) in the top left corner of the screen. Finally, click “Submit Survey” and you’re done!
Download surveys for iMessage (free)
Other well-known iMessage survey apps you can try
Surveys for iMessage isn’t the only app you can use to create iMessage surveys. However, it’s our choice because it has a lot of features, is updated in real time, and is free to use. That said, if you want to test other options for creating polls in an iPhone group chat, here are some of the other apps you can try.
1. Tiny survey
If you need a lot of flexibility to create and make changes to surveys, TinyPoll may be your preferred option. The app makes it easy to create iMessage surveys, as well as set them up as many times as you need. What’s more, it also offers a better way to track voting. Keep in mind that the free version of the app only allows you to create one survey per day (only 3 options per survey). If you want to create an unlimited number of surveys (up to 5 variations per survey), you need to subscribe to the professional version ($1.99 per year).
Installation: (free, full version available for $1.99 per year)
2. Surveys – Create surveys in iMessage
Surveys is a fairly simple and easy-to-use iMessage app that lets you create surveys in iMessage group chats with the flexibility you want. Depending on your needs, you can set up your survey and send it to a group chat. Notably, the app offers a neat view of the voting results so you can easily find out where the wind is blowing from. While this iMessage app is available for free, you need to upgrade to the premium version ($0.99 per year) to create an unlimited number of surveys.
Installation: (free, full version available for $0.99 per year)
Use surveys in iMessage on iOS and iPadOS
Ready! So, the next time you can’t decide on a topic or want to involve everyone in the discussion of the proposal, be sure to conduct a survey. These iMessage apps are simple and work reliably as a built-in feature.
However, would it be great to have a built-in polling feature in the standard messaging app in iOS 16? What do you think about that? Share your thoughts with us.