So, in 2022, for the normal functioning of the smartphone, you need at least 6 GB of RAM. However, this capacity is often not enough, so the manufacturer added a useful feature to the firmware of its latest devices – RAM expansion. In the article below, we explain in detail what it is and how to use this function.
What is RAM expansion?
The RAM extension is called the Memory Extension. This function is implemented at the expense of the internal storage capacity of the smartphone. Thus, if you have “free” gigabytes of internal storage, you can move them to RAM. For example, you want to increase the RAM by 2 GB: these gigabytes are transferred from permanent memory and reserved for RAM, disappear from the permanent drive, and the RAM will no longer be 6 GB, but 8.
It is worth noting that the Memory Extension function implies an increase in RAM by a maximum of 3 GB. Moreover, this indicator may change downwards depending on the volume of the device’s internal storage:
- Smartphone with more than 128 GB of ROM – 3 GB RAM expansion.
- 128 GB-2 GB RAM expansion.
- 64 GB-1 GB RAM expansion.
Also, some flagship models with 256 GB ROM and higher have the ability to increase the amount of RAM even by 5-7 GB.
Which devices support the Memory Extension
Almost all models released by Xiaomi in 2020-2022 support the Memory Extension function. The main criterion is the MIUI 12.5 firmware.
This feature is available on all smartphones with the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 888, 888+, 870 (5G) and 865 processors. In addition, you can increase RAM on the following devices::
- Mi 11 Lite NE, Mi Lite;
- Mi 10T-Lite 5G;
- Poco X3 Gt, Poco M3;
- The entire Redmi Note 10 line;
- The entire Redmi Note 9 line;
- Redmi Note 8, Note 8T, Note 8 2021.
Step-by-step instructions for enabling the Memory Extension:
1. Go to “Advanced settings” – “Memory expansion”.
2. Click on the slider and activate it. A footnote will tell you how many gigabytes you can add to RAM. Keep in mind that all manipulations can only be performed if there is free space in the ROM.
3. In the pop-up window, click”Restart”.
That’s all, the changes are saved, you have increased the RAM of your smartphone and will be able to enjoy even more comfortable and fast operation.